Diagnostic ultrasound, also called diagnostic medical sonography, is an imaging method that uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images of structures within your body. This information extremely valuable for diagnosing and treating a variety of diseases and conditions. A typical ultrasound exam is painless and takes about 30 minutes to complete. After your abdominal ultrasound, doctor will discuss the results with you and recommended future investigation, if needed, and /or treatment.
Diagnostic ultrasound is performed by our experienced doctor Ilona Choliavskaja.
Medicinos klinika 1005 offers diagnostic ultrasound of various organs for adults and children:
- Enlarged lymph nodes
- Soft tissue of the neck
- Thyroid glands
- Internal organs: liver, gallbladder, pancreas, spleen
- Kidneys (renal), bladder, ureters
- Uterus and ovaries in girls (through the abdominal wall)
How to prepare
You’ll need to stop eating food and drink water or liquids before your diagnostic ultrasound of internal organs:
- Adults: Nothing to eat or drink for 6-8 hours prior to your appointment. 8 hours interval without food is extremely important within the suspition of gallbladder pathology (stones)
- Younger 1 year: Nothing to eat or drink for 3 hours before procedure
- 1 – 3 years child: Nothing to eat or drink for 4 hours before procedure
- 3 – 14 years child: Nothing to eat or drink for 5-6 hours before procedure
Food and liquids in your stomach and urine in your bladder can make it difficult for the doctor to get a clear picture of internal organs. Patients require no special or specific preparation for ultrasound of the thyroid glands, lymph nodes or soft tissue of the neck.
Diagnostic ultrasound is performed during the consultation on the site.
Comprehensive spectrum of Laboratory services is available.